I think everyone working in students’ unions is involved in communicating and they can do it really well. I also think it is a specialism for staff with expertise which shouldn’t be undervalued.
I was asked to deliver a session at 2019’s Membership Services Conference to help people who aren’t communications specialists communicate more effectively.
You can browse the slides below or via Google Sheets which might be a bit more accessible.
These are the bits mentioned in the talk:
- More about the curse of knowledge
- Gov.uk’s accessibility blog
- Accessible design posters
- Free online training from Facebook about using Facebook and Instagram including paying to boost posts and run ads
- Making your own custom Google Maps (though its worth googling options for bulk imports if you have lots of data)
- Unsplash – beautiful free stock photos
- Canva – free online design software
- Free online training from Canva to help improve your design skills
- Hemingway app to help improve your writing
- Google Alerts to be notified via email when websites add information containing a particular word or phrase
These are the inclusive image sources I mentioned:
- The Gender Spectrum Collection – “a stock photo library featuring images of trans and non-binary models that go beyond the clichés. This collection aims to help media better represent members of these communities as people not necessarily defined by their gender identities—people with careers, relationships, talents, passions, and home lives.” Images are available under the creative commons license for non-commercial use.
- Representation Matters – Inclusive, diverse and body positive stock photos and images available for a small fee with three free to use images sent via email every month.
- CreateHER Stock – 2500+ images of women of colour for a small fee with some free photos.
- nappy – Beautiful photos of people of colour you can use for free.
- AllGo – photos of plus-size people you can use for free.
Some books and resources about permission marketing and content marketing:
We love talking about communicating so get in touch for a chat and to find out about the training we offer for students’ union staff, volunteers and officers – email@example.com