Students’ union officer communication skills training
A programme of training sessions to help officers find and develop their authentic voice to confidently communicate with students and other key figures.
Our weekly sessions will walk your officers through theories, examples and practical applications they’ll draw upon throughout their year in office.
Sessions can be delivered online or in-person and scheduled to suit your induction programme.
The programme will be delivered by Jo Walters, a former students’ union officer and communications manager who freelances with students’ unions on communications and marketing projects. We’ve also invited some special guest hosts to share their expertise.
Attendees and staff at their union will have access to a summary of the key points and useful resources to recap the essentials throughout the year.
To find out more or book the course for your officers email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 – Introduction – 1.5 hours
- Why it’s important for officers to communicate – accountability, closing the feedback loop, listening to students, influencing campaign targets such as university staff or local councillors
- Reflecting on our individual strengths and weaknesses, skills, ideas and challenges
2 – Communicating effectively – 1 hour
- Avoiding jargon and finding a clear message
- Accessibility and inclusion
- Thinking about your audience
- How often and when to do it
3 – Being yourself with former sabbatical officers Sunday Blake & Osaro Otobo – 1.5 hours
- Finding your voice and being authentic
- Setting boundaries
- Dealing with negative comments
4 – Media skills with journalist and former sabbatical officer Adam Lindsay – 3 hours
- A brief look at media law essentials – defamation, contempt of court (for legal cases/arrests and sexual violence), copyright
- How to prepare for and ace media interviews
- Media interview role play exercises
5 – Practical skills – 1 hour
- How to use photography and video
- How to use social media
- Working with your comms/marketing team
- Other platforms to consider including student media, podcasts, blogging
Optional – 30 minute 1-1 sessions to talk about officers’ individual needs, questions and examples @ £20pp
The programme costs £975 per union for bookings with a £50 discount for Comms Club members (travel/accommodation expenses will be added to your invoice for in-person sessions).
The small print
In-person bookings are subject to location, timings, Covid restrictions and the ability of our guest hosts to travel. We’d suggest combining some of these sessions rather than running them weekly. We’ll add travel/accommodation expenses to the price. Guest hosts may not be able to attend their sessions but we’ll do our best to schedule dates around their availability.